Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, many of us have shifted to teaching (and learning) online. If you are using Zoom on a computer, you will need to make some changes to the default audio configuration in order to disable the background noise filters. When the filters are on, Zoom filters out the sound of the tabla, making it almost inaudible. (On a tablet, these filters do not seem to exist, or are not an issue.)
(While I've written this post with the tabla in mind, the following information is valid for using Zoom with any musical instrument.)
Here are the steps you need to take:
1) Open the Zoom software and click on the settings cog in the upper-right corner.
2) Click on the Audio settings option in the menu on the left-hand side.
3) Click on the Advanced button on the lower-right side.
4) Make sure that the box is checked, next to 'Show in-meeting option to “Enable Original Sound” from microphone'. After that is done, press 'Back' and close the settings window. Now that this setting has been changed, you will not need to repeat steps 1-4 again in the future; proceed to step 5.
5) From now on, whenever you are connected in a Zoom meeting, you will see this button in the upper-left corner of the video screen:
For music classes, 'Original Sound' needs to be ON. When 'Original sound' is ON, it will look like this:
You will need to turn on Original Sound every time you connect for a lesson.
I hope you have found this guide to be helpful. Best wishes for your tabla (or other music) studies, and good health during this challenging time.